Friday, April 18, 2008

Earthquake Shakes Lafayette This Morning


5.4 (Preliminary magnitude — subject to revision)
Date-Time
Friday, April 18, 2008 at 09:36:57 UTC
Friday, April 18, 2008 at 04:36:57 AM at epicenter
Location
38.501°N, 87.898°W
Depth
10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program
Region
ILLINOIS
Distances
10 km (6 miles) ESE (103°) from West Salem, IL
10 km (6 miles) NE (55°) from Bone Gap, IL
13 km (8 miles) N (4°) from Bellmont, IL
66 km (41 miles) NNW (333°) from Evansville, IN
204 km (127 miles) E (93°) from St. Louis, MO
Location Uncertainty
Error estimate not available
Parameters
NST=021, Nph=021, Dmin=263.2 km, Rmss=1.07 sec, Gp=119°,M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=1
Source
West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center/NOAA/NWS
Event ID
at00851141
This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

The latest information can be obtained by this link.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2008qza6.php


4 comments:

Salima Hayek said...

I dunno, compare notes with my post - am I Crazy for enjoying myself during this?

Anonymous said...

Just before 5:40 in the morning (local time)- southside of Lafayette, IN... WoW! If you have never felt an earthquake, it is quite surprising how easily identifiable it is!!! I was laying in bed, trying to convince myself to get up, when the gentle but deliberate side to side motion started. I sat up... it continued... Just to prove assumptions wrong that it was just a weird side effect of waking up, I stood up and the sensation of imbalance (that's the only way I know to describe it) was actually stronger. I took to steps to the exit of the room and it just stopped. Completely, totally, stopped. I probably wouldn't have believed my own senses if it wasn't for the fact that my wife was in a different room in the house and when I entered, the first thing she said was "What was that?" and we knew the truth as, quite suddenly, we realized the birds were starting to chirp and sing their morning song, apparently recovering from a dazed silence. There hadn't been any real sounds from or during the earthquake, a fact we didn't realize until it was over, except for the gently vibrating of the windows. This wasn't a violent shaking, either. It was literally like the windows were just moving in their frames. But, all said, it was an experience we won't forget here in Lafayette.

Jeffrey Hogue

Anonymous said...

I live in West Lafayette out towards Otterbein. I live in a 2 story home on a hill on a walk out basement. I was woke up by the bed shaking pretty hard and the windows rattling and stuff on the wall shaking and falling off. Stuff in my walk in closet started falling inside and my dog was growling and shaking. I thought for sure a tornado was near with that kind of feeling.I tryed to get up and propped myself up on my arm and my arm was shaking so bad. I have never experienced something like that.

Anonymous said...

Did I just feel an aftershock at 11:15am?