Thursday, June 26, 2008

WLFI Knocked off the Air at 5 p.m. Due to Lightning Strike

It is kind of ironic it is Lightning Safety Week and this happens. For the first time in the more than 9 years I have been at WLFI we are not going to be able to do a scheduled weekly show. We were supposed to be on at 5 p.m. but the show has been canceled. The good news is that we are still on the air and that we will resume with our normal newscast schedule at 6 p.m. It is kind of cool how we are all rallying around one another making the most of this situation.My intern Kevin Burris picked a great day to come in to work and has been a huge help getting our Precison 18 working again. Everybody here has done a fabulous job.

I reminded my news director that we are doing very well compared to other stations across the country that were knocked off the air for several days and sometimes weeks due to severe weather. One other note is that I will not have a chroma key to do weather on this evening, but I have found a way to make some weather maps and our actual forecast computers are working again. So even though it would have been fun I will not have to get the crayons and magic markers and draw maps on poster board. I will see you at 6 p.m. I think the worst is over for the storms today, but I am still concerned once again for tomorrow night into Saturday morning for the brunt of our storms. See you at 6 p.m. and remember those lightning safety rules.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks mike looking forword to your newscast at 6 I was shocked when I heard that wlfi got hit by lightning! I'll be watching tomorrow into saturday as well but I have to say Im not to happy about all this severe weather its getting crazy!!!

Justin in Lafayette.

Anonymous said...

WE LOVE WLFI~ you guys do an awesome job keeping us informed of news and weather!

I just read, and hope it is true, that our storms tomorrow night will be here after midnight (UGH!) but will have gone linear meaning a squall line with strong winds and hail, rather than a tornado threat. let's hope that holds true. Everyone go to bed early tonight so we can all be at the help with Mike and the crew late tomorrow night!

Sun is out in Remington.

Justin, what do your maps say for our forecast for tomorrow/storms?

MA in Remington

Anonymous said...

Well we are still in a slight risk for severe.
So far there are no tornado reports with this system but there has been large hail and strong wind reports so Im watching that closely. As of now my maps have the worst of the storms coming in around 10:00pm or 11:00pm however there could be some scattered pop up thunderstorms through out that afternoon so mary ann I agree with you we all should go to bed early so we all can do are parts in keeping everyone with the latest info.

See you here!!!

Justin in Lafayette.

Anonymous said...

Yes Justin and all bloggers....see you here! Radar appears to be clear even back into IL/MO so everyone get a good night's sleep! It is H-U-M-I-D out there!

MA in Remington