Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Weather pick of the week today but beware of mosquitoes


Well, I think we all agree! Bring on the mosquitoes. Check out the times with your highest risk of getting mosquito bites which is usually in the early morning and the evening. West Nile virus has been found in a couple different breeds of mosquitoes in the Indianapolis area. So even if I was a bit light-hearted with my opening couple of statements, please protect yourself with a mosquito spray with DEET just in case. The rainfall surplus of just over 2 inches provides a rich enviroment for higher numbers of mosquitoes to form and our mosquito index is expected to rise from the moderate to high range over the next week.


Here is our special guest and weather intern from Purdue with more! This is Kevin Burris with some more tips on controlling mosquitoes around your home. Mosquitoes breed in areas of stagnant water, so eliminating debris that collects water can help keep your home comfortable, as least from the bugs. Keep eaves, troughs and gutters clean and flowing. Change birdbaths and pet water dishes often. Check tarps and other waterproof coverings for trapped water, and remove obstructions from ditches and waterways near your home. If the mosquitoes persist, make them work for their meal and wear clothing that covers your skin. Beyond personal protection, there are many products that keep your backyard barbeque free of mosquitoes such as candles or just a good old smoking bonfire.

Last night's fly through at 11 p.m. showed the welcome break in the rain!

I tried to make it through a weathercast last night without saying rain and I almost did it! I only said rain once. It was much harder than I thought it would be and it became quite humorous as the weathercast wore on. I used "liquid sunshine", "coallision coalescence", "umbrella weather", "precipitation", and told Niccole at the end she could say it and she just smiled...but we all knew what I meant. This is because we have had rain 26 of the last 41 days. Raccoon Lake had its second highest water level on record with many docks underwater and debris in the water. If you have made plans to travel south this weekend, check ahead because like we saw here at home this winter, clean-up will take weeks. If you feel a little bit upset with the weather lately you have every right to be. But do not despair, the overall pattern is starting to change. We will not have any rain in the forecast until Friday and the good news is that the dying La Nina may bring us may help to alter the pattern as we head into July and August. I will have all the positive news here shortly on the blog...Have a great day!


The big news is that the shift to the north in our jet stream I showed last night will occur with a much higher frequency over the next few weeks. This is because energized La Nina jet stream should not only be weakening with a change in the pattern, but it will be forced to lift to the North thanks to higher pressures building in from the Atlantic. Join me for more here on the blog tomorrow becaues most folks only think we look at Pacific Ocean temperatures to forecast our Midwest weather while we in fact do look at Atlantic Ocean temperatures. The Atlantic is heating up and that inevitably means we will be heating up and drying out! I will have more on this here on the blog tomorrow!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Im happy this LA-NINA is starting to die out as for mosquitoes I have been lucky so far but yes I think everyone should use a mesquitoe spray.
Thay are bad this year I think worse then last year we have seen alot of them. You enjoy your few dry days as well mike and dont get BIT!!!

Justin in Lafayette.

Anonymous said...

We are loving this wx here in Remington as I am sure most others are. The blogs are silent--everyone is outside enjoying the sunshine!

Mary Anne

Anonymous said...

Yes make sure to protect yourself with a good mosquito spray.

I agree with Mary Anne, I think everyone is enjoying this beautiful weather.

I was one out enjoying the sunshine yesterday, but I forgot my SUN SCREEN! and am now paying the price!

I had a rough nights sleep last night, this time not due to storms, but a painful sun burn!!!!

So remember folks not only to use a good mosquito spray but a good sun screen as well!!
I learned my lesson the hard way!

Teri in Lafayette

BTW: Dogs get heartworms from mosquitoes, which can be deadly. Make sure you protect your dogs with a good Heartworm preventive, Dogs can get sunburn as well.

Anonymous said...

Teri is right I have a rat terrer and he always lays on his back out in the sun and I dont know how many times I have and to put something on him.

Also he loves to go swimming in are pool we cant keep him out of it he just has to jump in with his BALL LOL!!!

Justin in Lafayette.

Anonymous said...

Hey Justin have you tried this product? it maded by Nutri-Vet called Sun Defense Sunscreen for Dogs. Works good and will not make them sick as some human products can!

Not only the tummy can get sun burnt, tne nose, tips of ears as well as the pads on their feet!

I worked for a Vet for 15 years and have seen dogs with infections from sun burn!

Rat Terr. are a blast, I had a Fox Terr. a silly fellow he was.

Teri in Lafayette

Anonymous said...

Thanks I'll have to try that because his little tummy just gets burned at least onec a year he has been ok this year but dont want to take any chances.

Justin in Lafayette.

Anonymous said...

Justin, you are welcome! enjoy today! I cant go outside, for the heat of the sun hurts my sunburn:(

Have fun in your pool with your pooch!

Teri

Anonymous said...

I will do so everyone knows he and I will bouth be in there one of the things he loves to do is play ball in the pool if you try to take his ball away he go's crazy.
Thanks again I'm going to get some of that and he thanks you to :)

Justin in Lafayette.

Anonymous said...

One more thing, you may want to check products on line, they cost less than stores and vets, I have had found many great products on line at a discount price! Shipping and handling $2.00 not bad due to the cost of gas!!!!

Teri

Anonymous said...

Thanks will do!

Justin in Lafayette.