Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Watching Live Doppler 18 & Gusty T-Storms on the Way

3:35 p.m. Update




I just did a new web weather and based on the latest Live Doppler 18 scans it still looks like wind gusts to 40 mph and heavy downpours causing hydroplaning will be our main threats. Lightning tracker which will soon be available on the web by later this week (yes!) is not showing much lightning at all. You have to go north of Winamac to find any lightning at all and it is very sporadic. The line does not seem to be showing signs of bowing out which is also good news. So right now the big thing is to be careful on the roadways heading home and most of our gusty thunderstorms should end by 7 p.m. Then you can expect off and on rain showers until about midnight before our real autumn weather moves in! Right now it is only 51 in Chicago! Stay warm and stay safe!

10 a.m. Update

It should be an interesting afternoon and evening. I am just finishing up cutting my lawn before the bigger thunderstorms and heavier rain moves in this afternoon as expected, especially after 3 p.m. Here is the latest discussion out of the Storm Prediction Center this morning.

MODEL GUIDANCE IS IN GENERAL AGREEMENT THAT A MORE ORGANIZED LINEAR CONVECTIVE SYSTEM WILL BE POSSIBLE THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING AHEAD OF PRIMARY UPPER TROUGH OVER PARTS OF IL/MO/IND. FORECAST SOUNDINGS SHOW SUFFICIENT DEEP LAYER VERTICAL SHEAR IN THIS REGION FOR EMBEDDED BOW/LEWP CONFIGURATIONS CAPABLE OF GUSTY WINDS. WEAK LAPSE RATES SHOULD LIMIT THE THREAT OF HAIL...AND STRONGLY VEERED NEAR-SURFACE WINDS SHOULD LIMIT LOW LEVEL SHEAR AND TORNADO THREAT.

What this means is that we could see a strong storm or two and I have noticed we have the sun popping out a little outside with plenty of humidity. This will tend to destabilize things even more. The Storm Prediction Center is already concerned about bow echoes and here in Indiana they many times do cause damaging winds and even brief, small tornadoes. Even though we have not been put in a risk area for severe thunderstorms by the folks in Norman, Oklahoma do not let your guard down. Here in Indiana we know to always keep our guard up. I am expecting a few thunderstorms with wind gusts of 40 to 50 mph. Isolated wind gusts could approach 60 mph which reaches severe criteria. I have noticed our 5,000 foot wind speeds increase to 35 mph by late this afternoon as the line of showers and thunderstorms arrive. This will certainly add some punch to the storms as they move through. So here is one of those days in Indiana where we usually get hit when everybody is downplaying things. Well, you weather team is ready and now you are too. Be safe this afternoon and evening and I will make sure to keep you updated here on the blog and on the tube.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been watching things since last night so I will be here.
This should be fun! :-)

Justin.

Anonymous said...

I bet the storms will start as school is dismissing, never fails!
Justin, I have been watching as well, I dont like the looks of things:(

All be safe, hope the kids get home before it starts raining!

Teri in Laf.

Unknown said...

hey all! I read the comments on here all the time but have just never posted myself. I'm an avid weather fan too. I'm at work in a cubicle with no windows so keep me informed of the changing weather! I noticed the sun was peaking out on my lunch break..makes me wonder if more storms will pop up later this afternoon!

Anonymous said...

anyone checking out the clouds? Looks like a June 2008 sky!

Anonymous said...

ok you all know weather better than me but i have been watching the radar on weather bug and it doesnt look like we are going get much... i would love for a good storm or two.. but i sure do wish we i could read weather,.. justin terri what do you all think?

Anonymous said...

Yes I have been looking at the clouds it dose look like June, if it was not for the trees changing.

Warren, Newton, and jasper, county, are already getting rain we in Tippecanoe, county, should start to see it within the next hour to hour and a half. Right now looks like mostly rain heavy rain. Also as of now the NWS is not expecting to put out a severe weather risk for today.

I have a current temp of 77.7*F holding stady. Still we should not let our guard down just yet.
And like Mike said high wind gusts are to be watched.

Justin.

Anonymous said...

I'am now getting a heavy rain here by the fairgrounds.

Justin.

Anonymous said...

Rain is heavy enough here in Brookfield Heights that it's causing the satellite TV broadcast to break up now and then... quite breezy, but no severe gusting. And in the time it's taken me to type this note, the rain is slacking off and the sky is brightening

Cheryl in Brookfield Heights

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling the heavy rain would start just as shcool got out, I could hardly see to drive, the wipers were not keeping up with the rain! Lasted for about 15 mins, feel sultry out there!

T in Laf

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling the heavy rain would start just as shcool got out, I could hardly see to drive, the wipers were not keeping up with the rain! Lasted for about 15 mins, feel sultry out there!

T in Laf

Anonymous said...

I had a feeling the heavy rain would start just as shcool got out, I could hardly see to drive, the wipers were not keeping up with the rain! Lasted for about 15 mins, feel sultry out there!

T in Laf

Anonymous said...

wonder why my post showed 3 times:(

Anonymous said...

Not much rain here in Lafayette and I don't see us getting much more.

Anonymous said...

Mike I have .40 in my rain gauge from that line of rain that went through.

Justin in Lafayette.

Anonymous said...

There was aot of wind and rain here in Clinton County. I was glad that it wasn't that bad. I think all of the stormy weather is over. I will be here with you all when the snow flows.

S in Frankfort

Anonymous said...

I am seeing more rain coming soon, looks like Southern In is getting it, wind is starting to pick up