Monday, March 31, 2008

March Out Like A Lion as Storm Serena Arrives


It is great to be back from the Nation's Capital! Thanks for holding off the storms until I got back. March came in like a lamb and it certainly is going out like a lion! I finished the marathon in 4 hours, 1 minute, and 11 seconds which I am very proud of. It was a personal best for me. My previous record was a 4:06 at the Indianapolis Marathon in October. Thanks for inspiring me during my D.C. marathon! I finished all 26.2 miles and I did run an 8 minute mile for you on mile 17.The best part of the trip was spending time with wife and daughters and yes the cherry blossoms were gorgeous. You can see all of my better halves above. This was the view from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. It was extra special since we all know that Abraham Lincoln's boyhood home was right here in Indiana! It was also where Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his famous " I Have a Dream Speech." I wish I could go on more but weather has to come first....I am tracking storm Serena tonight with showers and thunderstorms. I think 40 to 50 mph winds, lightning, small hail and heavy rains will be our main threats. The best chance for severe weather will stay well south of the area. Stay safe tonight and remember your lightning safety rules. Get used to seeing a lot of this on the air tonight!


It is amazing how much more we can see as these storms are coming through the area. Clarks Hill, Linden, Mulberry, and Frankfort all had some loud crashes of thunder this evening but thanks to Precision 18 I was able to warn these areas well ahead of the storm and made sure they all prepared for plenty of lightning and heavy downpours. That is exactly what happened. Precision 18 can literally see through these storms which will go a long way into preparing us for the heart of our severe weather season. I will have more tomorrow here on the blog about why Indiana is the most tornado-prone state in the country. Yes, even more so than Oklahoma! We did not have any severe weather tonight but be ready for an active period starting most likely later next week.

More pictures and stories of my Washington, D.C. trip will be posted here ASAP.....





6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mike sounds like there is another storm system on its way Sun and Mon! Is this storm to be named a female name starting with the letter S? If so I think she should be named Shania, meaning,I'm on my way! I am writing now because we are leaving for the weekend to celebrate my birthday and I will be spending a lot of time in the swimming pool.

Have a great run tomorrow!

Rachael in Lafayette.

Hi Mike I wrote the above on the 27th, I think this storm should be named too. I am back from my birtday party and back to school. What an ending to spring break!

Glad you had a good time. Did you get in your 17? Now you may have to go for 18!

Rachael in lafayette

Anonymous said...

I can see severe weather to our south and west, how will that impact us here in Lafayette? Will the front weaken as it approaches? Right now at 9pm it is looking nasty on www.weatherbug.com.

Anonymous said...

I think it is safe to say based on the data available to me that the storm track is staying south of us. I wouldn't rule out some heavy rain and occasional thunder, however the lack of afternoon heating due to cloud cover kept convection to a minimum. The real threat area is laying on a line SSW from the Columbus IN area to Mephis, TN. There are massive fast moving thunderstorms along this frontal boundry. Just my 2 cents...But I don't get paid for this so....

Anonymous said...

Thanks to the poster above, that is what I concluded as well. Being from the East Coast, I will never get used to these Indiana storms!

Anonymous said...

My yard looks like a swamp! the rain is pounding down, looks like south of us is going to be hit hard! Batten down the hatches.

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK, Mike!! You were missed greatly!

This system has died way down, BUT I am seeing forecast of more severe wx on Thursday. What say you??

Mary Anne in Remington