Sunday, November 28, 2010

Travel not Best in the West, Jags the New Beast of the East


Sunday, November 28, 2010 (7:30 a.m.)

Blog Archive http://lotsofbarkandbiteinyourforecast.blogspot.com/


I may have been a little obnoxious this morning during my weather cast. Thanks for putting up with me but at least I was full of positive energy. I will blame it on a bad combination for me which is brownies and meteorology. Yes my normally high energy level was through the roof. The good news is the forecast is much more stable and on track for a great travel day across most of the country thanks to the same high pressure that is bringing us a fine finish to our weekend. It is dominating about 2/3 of the country. There are a few problem spots. While California has cleared up along with the Pacific Northwest and Desert Southwest after a rough Saturday, the storm system has moved into the Rockies where Salt Lake City that already had a blizzard for the beginning of the holiday weekend could see another 6 to 10 inches of snow. Denver may start mild and sunny but snow is on the way for tonight. Make sure to check ahead if your travels take you in that direction. There could certainly be some delays. On Monday this storm system will start tapping Gulf moisture and travel could be hampered much more than today especially across the Heartland. But for today the big beast in the East will not be the weather but our Jags. Yes, our Jags are officially in the AFC South but they can be considered the beast of the east as well after beating the New York Giants.  Here is the latest forecast for the Meadowlands where kickoff is scheduled at 1 p.m.


Last week I wore my teal shirt and tie for the third consecutive Sunday. I know anchors that wear a different combination picked out weeks in advance. But that is not me and since the Jags keep winning when I wear that lucky combo I vowed I will continue to wear the same Sunday shirt, tie, and suit as long as they keep winning. The good news (and I know Sport Director Dan Hicken is relieved) is that I washed my shirt and got my suit cleaned. So this morning I did my part and sported the teal.

The forecast also has a theme to it. Last week we played off the theme of 3 in our weather show. This week it is 4....notice west wind at 4 mph with a 4% chance of rain. Even better there is a kickoff temperature of 44. This all adds up to 4 in a row. The Jags are getting a nice break from nature with no bitter wind chills or bad weather to worry about. They have pulled off miraculous victories the last couple weeks and a little chill in the air should not slow them down. We have already been "tealgating" here at the station and you see our floor director Sallie and director Mike helping to finish off what once was a full pan of home-made brownies that I brought in from home. Thank you Julie!


Those brownies did not last long and there is nothing like a tailgate party that really started about 5 a.m. here at the station. I am blessed with tremendous folks behind the scenes here at First Coast News. They are the ones that make everything go smoothly. I am just the messenger. In television news your producers, directors, floor directors, audio directors, editors, and videographers are like a quarterback's offensive line. Without them I would be running for my life. I make sure to always take good care of them. Now if I was a millionaire quarterback I would buy them all Rolex watches and take them out for steak once a week, but for now they insist the brownies are just right. I also brought in Mexican dip on Saturday morning. So I do what I can.


I also know to take good care of you. So this morning I am getting you ready for lots of crazy weather on the way. Notice our temperature graph the last few days. We have gone from tranquil 80s to a polar plunge on Saturday. But you have not seen anything yet. The 80s will return this week but an even bigger drop in temperature is on the way. Make sure to tune in tonight at 6:00, 6:30, and 11:00 p.m. for the latest this wild weather ride and the main culprit which certainly is not me...LOL. Remember I am just the messenger.


Here is a 10 day forecast that I put together for you and you can also download it for free on your I-phone, Droid or any contraptions that have APPS. Type in First Coast Weather or FCN wx and you should be all set. You can also go to our weather page at http://www.firstcoastnews.com/weather/ and point your phone at the QR scanners for your I-phone and Droid and it will automatically download it for you without you having to type a thing. This is a perfect 10 day period to see how you like it! Not only does it have you covered with street-level mapping but our weather team takes pride bringing you the only locally made 10 day forecast available. We are only one of five stations in the entire country that actually does this. I just updated it this morning for you and it is updated sometimes more than once a day.


Make it a great day and enjoy our highs back near 70. There will be a mix of sun and clouds with a few more clouds at the beach but no rain is expected. It is looking great for your Jaguar get-together. Rain will return to the forecast as early as late tonight with maybe even strong storms on the way by late Tuesday. Make sure to check back for more. But for now it is all about getting to church and then the teal and sunshine!

No comments: