Thursday, September 18, 2008

Woolly Worms Turn to the Dark Side On a Beautiful Summer's Day



Now remember I always keep that glass half full and do not want to scare anybody. But the winter weather saga has just got a whole lot more interesting based on the latest signs from nature and science. The worms are pulling a Darth Vader on us. Last week our woolly worm update had a ratio of 80% to 20% light to dark worms. Now it has flip-flopped. I cannot believe how many dark worms are coming out of the wood work. If you add it all up it is now close to 50% light striped caterpillars to 50% dark striped which is about where we were last winter. We all remember where that got us last year. We had 40 plus inches of snow and a top 5 year for most snow in a season.


This big news coincides with new Climate Prediction Center long-range maps that are showing more of a neutral to slight La Nina winter. The sun is quiet, volcanoes are erupting, and the cold air is building to the north much earlier than average. The big blue area to the north is showing temperatures cold enough to support snow and they may just get an early season snowstorm this weekend in much of Central and Northern Canada. This cold air that is building up could reach us as a frost by October 1st! This is my wife's birthday. I will make sure to keep her warm and I will have to buy her much more than just chocolates and flowers, especially after a forecast like this. Well, she deserves more regardless is what I am trying to say.

This is the science telling us that the scales are starting to tip to the snowier and colder. I knew our winter forecast would not be set in stone until late October. Does this mean my original idea of a milder than average winter with below average snowfall is in jeopardy? I am working diligently on this today. I do know that being hit hard early in the winter is right on track and our chances of a White Christmas are at 75% instead of 50%. I will let you know what Santa will be putting in our weather stockings with more answers later today. HO, HO, HO! In the meantime enjoy another gorgeous day. I will give the credit to my wife for all this nice weather. She is the reason for the sunshine in my life!!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUCK SNOW, HOPE NOT!

Anonymous said...

Yay Snow, Hope so!

Anonymous said...

Bring on the snow!! Woo- Hoo!!
Prangley, your wife is lucky.

Anonymous said...

Snow up to the knee...sounds good to me!

Anonymous said...

Thank's Mike for the SNOW UPDATE I am LOVEING the forecast so far!!!!!

I have been watching it a bit everyday hopeing!

And yes snow up to the knee! maybe more!

Justin in Lafayette.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike talk about your trick or treat forecast. Right? LOL! Just getting ready for Halloween :)
Have a great day all.....

Justin in Lafayette.

Anonymous said...

You people that push for more SNOW obviously don't take into consideration that people lose there LIVES due to snow realated traffic fatalities! My brother was killed by another motorist driving to work in the snow.


I'd rather see the grass....snow can kiss my a**!!

Anonymous said...

Snow up to the knee.....the grass I would rather see!!!

Anonymous said...

Snow is beautiful, yet the roads can become tretchorus! Some just people just drive to darn fast regardless, rain, snow or clear!

I was hoping for a very mild winter, for one due to heating costs. another, wondering about school delays, finding someone at the last min to watch my child, Having to take time off work due to delays and cancellations!

Snow can be a nightmare for parents!

Anonymous said...

Id rather mow, than to shovel snow! Snow up to the knee wont worry me, cause I am a short person!