Monday, September 29, 2008

Real Autum Weather Set to Move In!


Yes! I am still moving and survived the Boilerman 2008! It was quite an experience completing my first triathlon and I was just honored to be in the company of so many great collegiate athletes. They taught me a thing or two and certainly kept me going when the going got tough. I actually think I fired them up even more with many racing at close to 20 mph on average for 23 miles on the biking part of the race. I was proud of my 17.5 mph pace without any fancy shoes or equipment. The running part I felt most comfortable with of course but running around Ross-Ade Stadium yesterday about 2 hours into the Boilerman it started heating up, especially running uphill. I had flashbacks to my marathon in Jacksonville and played off that experience just to keep my legs moving. Prayer helped immensely and I also thought enough is enough, we need real autumn weather. It was hot out there! Well it looks like we all have survived this unusually warm weather because sure enough real autumn weather is on the way. Get out the sweatshirts and jackets!

You will also need the umbrellas, but I am not talking gloom and doom in the forecast like many others have been. I know this because when I go grocery shopping, take my kids to school, and run other errands I must here about 10 different forecasts every day. I do not mind this because it helps me fine-tune my own forecast and to relate even better to you when I go on the newscasts during the evening and late news to clear things up and to bring you the latest and most up to date forecast. Remember our new model runs come in at about 2 p.m. every day.Well after hearing things and I am sure it was not from News Channel 18, some folks are even talking about storm chasing today. Well here are the facts.....I am not expecting severe weather and I would save the gas and not go storm chasing. I do expect another line of showers and thunderstorms to form between 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. The main threats will be lightning, heavy downpours, wind gusts to 40 mph, and maybe small hail. We had a few showers punch through the area already and it looks like most of the heating which will feed these storms will be much more significant south of Interstate 70. Those areas could see an isolated strong storm or two but it will be marginal at best.

But while we are talking severe weather you have to keep in mind that October and November here in the Midwest have been known for severe weather. We will talk more about this here on the blog this week and of course keep you updated with showers and thunderstorms. It will be fun just to track rain once again on Live Doppler 18! Send in some umbrella pictures and rainfall amounts. See you soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Mike, My timing was a little off lol :-) I'll be here later see ya all soon!

Justin.

Anonymous said...

Are we going to get storms tonight?? Where I am located in Laf, it was just cloudy. We spent a lot of time out side, Was a nice day, a little on the humid side right now.

When is the cold snap going to hit? I have been so busy, I have not had time to watch the news or track the wx.

Anonymous said...

Oh boy here comes that brisk Autumn air! How's everyone?

Yeah its going to start get a little chillier pretty quick...kind of weird to see it rain today wasn't it?