Monday, October 8, 2007

Lafayette Bakes in the Hottest October Weather & Weekend on Record



Well early last week I stuck my neck out there and thought we could make history with not only unusually hot weather, but all-time record highs for October on the way. This past weekend the forecast came true, but I was still shaking my head as to what was happening. I spoke to folks that have lived here all their life and the only thing they could come up with was this reminds them of the dust bowl years of the 1930s, only this October was even hotter than back then! They are certainly on to something because we not only had the hottest weekend on record for October, but the hottest October weather in 111 years of record-keeping in Lafayette. We are not done yet! Today will likely tie our latest 90 degree day ever on record while at least tying another daily record high. Record highs were set in at least 16 states on Sunday with many other cities joining Lafayette in the all-time monthly record high club.

This heat wave has had deadly consequences as well here in the Midwest. Two years ago I ran in the Chicago Marathon and remember that it was tough running even with temperatures near 70. Remember when you run marathons you add about 20 degrees to the actual temperature because you are usually running on much warmer pavement and in the sun. Your body also heats up very quickly. Ideal running temperatures are close to 50 degrees. Well unfortunately yesterday it was 88 degrees in the shade by 10 a.m. which comes out to a runner's heat index of 108 degrees without factoring in the humidity! This was a deadly combination. Our thoughts and prayers are with the 35 year old man that died during the race. He had a heart condition to begin with and the hot weather was just too much. There were also 4 others still in critical condition in the hospital today. Race officials reported several hundred folks with heat-related illnesses and actually shut down the race 3 and a half hours in to it as water supplies quickly dwindled and it became apparent that it was just too dangerous to continue the marathon. I know I would have been crushed and disappointed, but better safe than sorry.

In Jacksonville, Florida I ran in very warm weather with temperatures approaching 80 by the end of the race back in December and I can tell you it was a very tough last 5 miles. My leg cramps were extra harsh! Having temperatures close to 90, I just cannot imagine. Since I do run in a marathon in the next 2 weeks I am already saying my prayers that God watches over me and can keep our weather much cooler! I have trained very hard but do realize that like in life you should always have a plan B and that common sense needs to prevail no matter how competitive you are. So I am looking forward to running hard and smart!
Enough is enough is the weather mantra for today! I do see an end to this bizarre weather pattern in sight! The scorching high pressure bringing this unprecedented weather will have its bubble burst as a cold front punches through the area tonight.



Will the front bring some needed rain? Could we go from 90s this weekend to a frost at the Feast? So much to write about and for you to tune in for!



I think we are all ready for a frost this weekend and the first hints of patchy frost are on the board for this weekend. Rainfall tonight looks scattered at best, but if you can get under some of the heavy downpours I cannot rule out a quick half-inch in some areas!


Anything but this hot weather! Look at today's high temperatures across much of Indiana. Areas that did not reach 90 were few and far between and it was the hottest day in October for Indianapolis in 136 years of record keeping just a day after we set our all-time hottest day for October! Here in Lafayette we did tie another record high and we had our first October heat wave ever recorded. Just read the numbers but do not weep, we will be able to talk about the beginning of the end to this pattern tonight. We will go from a scorching summer pattern to a frosty Feast! See you soon!


No comments: