Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Sky Bursts! Relentless Rain Drenches Lafayette



What a day yesterday. I am still a bit groggy-eyed this morning. I had my best sleep in weeks thanks to our heaviest rain of the summer and really our heaviest rain in 5 months, since March 22nd and 23rd. The picture above shows you the cracked, dry ground before the rain and the standing water in the fields after the rain. I have never won the lottery, but I think most of us can agree that it made you feel like you hit the jackpot. We ended up with 3.25" of rain at my house on the southside. My crunchy grass is nice and soft once again. Here are more of the incredible rainfall totals.



It rained so fast and furious in portions of Clinton and Tippecanoe County yesterday that I had to compare our rainfall rates with world records. We had reports of .60" to .75" in only 5 minutes. This compares to the world record for heaviest rainfall in one minute of 1.23" set in Unionville, Maryland. Not really close to the record, but it certainly looked like it. Check out the sheets of rain just pounding Attica yesterday!


Courtesy of: Norman Mitchell

E-mail poured in to me rejoicing the rain! I have not seen such excitement since the blizzard of 2007! Here is just one of many happy e-mails I received.

Hi Mike its me again....I just wanted to say "Way to go with the rain Dance"!!!!!!! We got exactly 3 inches of rain out here on the southside (Wyandotte Rd) and that was measured with my rain gauge from 8:30pm on Sunday until 8:30pm Monday....What a WONDERFUL Day it was....Maybe, just maybe the creeks will begin to flow once again!

Take Care Mike!

Dena



The torrential rain but a huge dent in our rainfall deficit and effectively ended the drought in Miami and Howard Counties. Here is more good news for you.



Tonight we will take a look at what this means for the Wabash River and how high it will crest and talk about yet another heat wave on the way. But don't worry, we will not have another hot and dry spell like we experienced this summer. We may not see anything like we just experienced in years. We survived it together, just like the blizzard of 2007. Through good times and bad, I am glad you are always with me. Now let's turn our sights to our blog weather question of the day. If this rain was snow, how much would we have received? Think about and make it a great day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOUR HOUSE WOULD OF GOT 32 1/2 INCHES OF SNOW RIGHT? THAT SOUNDS LIKE MORE THAN THE BLIZZARD OF 07 THANKS.
RICK

Marinemom101285 said...

I believe we had more snow in 2007 than we did in rain.