Monday, December 20, 2010

Solstice Lunar Eclipse first of its kind since 1638!


Monday, December 20, 2010 (7 p.m.)

Get out and enjoy the total lunar eclipse tonight. It officially begins at 1:33 a.m. Totality begins at 2:41 a.m. and it reaches its peak at 3:18 a.m. Totality ends at 3:53 a.m. The total lunar eclipse ends at 5:01 a.m. This is the first solstice eclipse since 1638 or before Jacksonville was founded in 1791. We were not even called Cowford yet! Yes, the winter solstice or beginning of winter this year is also on December 21st at 6:38 p.m. These two events will not occur simultaneously again until 2094. Make sure you bundle up if you are heading outside with temperatures likely in the 30s. The beach may be closer to 40 if you are looking for a warmer spot. What I told folks is that they can stay in bed with all that chilly weather outside and we will show the video of it and pictures on First Coast News...lol...I know not many folks are as  crazy as me and I do have my alarm set for 2:30 a.m. As I told Jeannie on the set I will make sure not to wake up my wife who wants her beauty sleep. What will be interesting is that the moon should be a darker coppery red than usual. Here is why...the stormier the weather on earth the deeper the color since it is moving in the earth's shadow. So I am all fired up and ready to go!


Also bring in the pets and plants tonight. The Prangley coton de tulear may have a little Santa suit on but it is not enough to keep him warm. Freeze warnings are in effect from 2 a.m. to 9 a.m. I think most of the brief light freezes will be north of Interstate 10 and west of Highway 17. The great news is this chill is not going to last and the big news is a warming trend and lots of good weather on the way this week.


Wednesday we may have only our third day of the entire month with above average temperatures so this is well overdue. The stormy weather to our north will eventually bring in a cold wintry blast but likely not until Sunday! I think this is perfect timing for all those relatives coming to Florida looking for some better weather. They are going to find it! We have come a long way in a week. Have a great night and yes I better rest up for the big eclipse tonight....see you back here tomorrow with all the great pictures!

No comments: