Sunday, December 19, 2010

Good Misty Morning, Time to Make the Mexican Dip & Watch the Jags to Stay Warm!


Sunday, December 19, 2010 (7:30 a.m.)

Fog and mist will greet you this morning. You can see the rain is not the only thing that has been disappearing, but the tops of some of Jacksonville's skyscrapers. The good news is the wind as kept visibilities in most areas over a mile. The bad news is that this London look will be with us through at least mid-morning and we will have slow clearing this afternoon. It will also feel like London today with highs stuck in the lower to middle 50s. But I do not think anybody is complaining. It is JAGUAR SUNDAY! I know of several Jaguar gatherings around town and this is the perfect weather to stay in and watch some great football and I wanted to share my favorite Mexican dip recipe. Better yet it is easy to make. If I can do it so can you. This dip is so good that even at 3 a.m. in the newsroom it will only last a few minutes...lol...My wife who perfected the recipe will send it shortly and I will post it ASAP. THANKS JULIE!

Best Layered Mexican Dip
Layered from the bottom up:
Publix black bean chipolte dip -in deli, if you cannot find use either refried beans or crush black beans or mix both together
1 cup guacamole
8oz sour cream w tastefully simple fiesta seasoning (or use taco seasoning)
Shredded lettuce
Cheese
Cherry tomatoes



Tonight everybody is ready to party like it is 1999 or the last time the Jags won the division title. Since you will likely be in a festive mood you will have to go check out the luminaria in Avondale and Riverside. This event has been going on since 1984 and is a must-see. Yes, 33,000 candles of fun along with caroling and live nativity scenes. Bike riders also take part in this big fundraiser event for RAP. The weather looks outstanding. There is no rain to worry about or wind that will blow out any of those candles. Just throw on a jacket. The event begins at 6 p.m. and temperatures will fall into the 40s through the evening.


This week is the big one for travelers and it looks like nature is going to bring the BIG ONE to areas of the northeast. Check those travel plans. Here is the latest long-range surface map for Christmas Day! I even think my Midwest friends can expect a big Christmas Eve snowstorm similar to the one we had in Lafayette in 2002 when many areas picked up about 7" of snow. I remember those snow totals vividly! It was one of my most memorable Christmases ever. Here they are.


Yes, Murdock Park will not need the fake snow this year and you may have a case of deja-vu in Indiana.  Get the sleds ready! Here in Florida we will stay on the warm side of this storm and even though we will start a bit chilly this week with 50s I have no doubt we will warm up into the 70s. Christmas day the big storm could bring a light shower but the bigger story will be the windy conditions with gusts over 30 mph likely as a storm bombs off the Mid-Atlantic coastline. I have already texted friends in Maryland this morning and they are preparing for the worst and hoping for the best! I am the grocery stores best friend this time of  year in several states...lol. On Friday I warned my Chesapeake Bay friends about the pattern being favorable for this to happen and it does look it will come true and they will not be dreaming of a White Christmas. They could be measuring the snow not in inches but feet so stay tuned. This is a part of the country that closes school for 2". It should be interesting.  Now since a lot of folks have been asking how far north they have to go to see snow on Christmas, here is the latest map for you.


It looks like northern Georgia and even Alabama could have snow on the ground along with South Carolina.  I hope my friend Ed is ready in Myrtle Beach because even a White Christmas there is not out of the question. You see the purple colors or the areas of heaviest snow cover from near Washington D.C. back to Indiana and the Midwest. I am not sure how temperatures in Chicago will get out of the teens on Christmas. Here in Jacksonville we will feel the next real blast of cold air from this storm that could deliver another round of lows in the 20s by later Christmas weekend and the following week. One thing is for sure and that is we will not have another White Christmas like we saw in 1989. That really was a one in a hundred year storm. Here is your 10 day outlook for Jacksonville that will help you plan ahead and since there will be a lot of folks ready to get out of the cold and snow from the north and visiting us here in Florida I think these temperatures will feel great, although we do have that colder surge of air coming after Christmas.


Have a great day! Go Jags and remember the jackets. As I posted on Facebook, I love all my Indiana friends but the Jags are this year's team of destiny and if they stay close to the Colts I just know they will find a way to win! Speaking of a win-win, tomorrow you absolutely will want to check in with me here on the blog. We are talking about an occurrence that has not happened since 1638 or should I say a couple of scientific phenomena. Thanks for reading and good luck to all the marathoners in Mandarin this morning. I am glad you have perfect running weather. It sure beats the 80s I ran in back in 2006! Send me some pictures at mprangley@firstcoastnews.com.

No comments: