Thursday, November 24, 2011

Coolest Start to Thanksgiving Weekend in Six Years, But Warm Leftovers on the Way!


November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving! Temperatures were right on target today, although I think we briefly nipped 67 officially in Jacksonville. We had a big family feast and I certainly have a lot to be thankful for weatherwise and otherwise. I want to thank my wife for the great job on the turkey. She cooked up so much food we could have fed the Pilgrims. The house really heated up so it was a relief we could open the windows and let the cooler air in. Last year we would have had to crank the air conditioner as highs reached the lower 80s. This year was just right in my book and my youngest daughter Lauren pitched in by making gravy. It was the coolest Thanksgiving since 2005 but do not get used to it.


Speaking of weather history. It is interesting that the last 10 Thanksgivings have averaged highs of 71 which is average for this time of year. But at the same time it is like a box of chocolates. Notice the huge temperature differences we have had. In fact on this date in 1970 we had a high of only 39! This tells us not to get used to or count on the weather we have today sticking around for tomorrow. I do think we will need to dress in layers to start on Friday morning. My wife and kids are getting up at 4 a.m. to go shopping. I got them beat! I am not shopping but getting ready for work at 2:30 a.m. LOL. Lows will drop to the lower 40s inland to near 60 on the sand. Friday afternoon you can peel the layers as we quickly heat up into the lower to middle 70s and this is the beginning of a wild weekend of weather. On Sunday another weather-changer moves our way and we could even see a thunderstorm before temperatures nose-dive. So yes, the leftovers look warm for most of the weekend, but don't forget about that box of chocolates!

No comments: