Wednesday, July 18, 2007

You Can Dunk the Weatherman, But Nature May Dunk the Rest of Us As Flooding Concerns Grow




Danica Craig in the dunk tank at the White County Fair

I will have more on dunking Danica and the weatherman, but first we need to talk about quite a night last night. It was one of those nights I was glued to the radar most of the night.

It started out as a couple of lone unorganized storms in Illinois and a mesocale convective system literally exploded in our warm, humid air as it moved east. An MCC as it is caused is a large area of organized thunderstorms that can rival tropical storms or hurricanes in the amount of rain it can drop in relatively short periods of time. Some areas of Iowa are pushing 12 inches or rain over the last few days. I am concerned that although we need rain here at home, that we may have to worry about lowland flooding with isolated rain amounts in the next 30 hours that could add about 4 inches of rain on top of what we have had. I know most areas will end up with the 1 to 2 inches or rain as forecasted, but MCC's can drop much heavier rain in narrow 20 to 30 mile bands and it can cause flash flooding. It is tought to forecast exactly if and where this will take place, but if you are prepared it can go a long way in making sure you stay safe. So here is a reminder to make sure to not cross waters of unknown depth. Here is a flood warning statement this morning in Illinois that could repeat itself here in Indiana by later today through Thursday.


EXCESSIVE RUNOFF FROM HEAVY RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLOODING OF SMALLCREEKS AND STREAMS...HIGHWAYS AND UNDERPASSES. ADDITIONALLY...COUNTRYROADS AND FARMLANDS ALONG THE BANKS OF CREEKS...STREAMS AND OTHER LOWLYING AREAS ARE SUBJECT TO FLOODING.MOST FLOOD RELATED DEATHS OCCUR IN AUTOMOBILES. DO NOT ATTEMPT TOCROSS WATER COVERED BRIDGES...DIPS...OR LOW WATER CROSSINGS. NEVERTRY TO CROSS A FLOWING STREAM...EVEN A SMALL ONE...ON FOOT.

Remember it only takes about 8 to 10 inches of moving water to sweep a vehicle away. We will also have a greater threat of strong storms as the main front that has been causing damaging winds and large hail all week finally moves our way by later today and tomorrow. So make sure to stay alert and stay tuned. Make sure to have a plan B over the next couple of days and your weather radio ready. I will make sure our Live Doppler 18 is fired up and ready to go.


Now that we are prepared let's talk about all the fun I had at the White County Fair last night. There was the horse show that followed the cat show. There were tons of cats being pushed around in strollers, but I still think the horses were the most impressive. You see Rachel Hegewald in the front on Conquest and Ali Laufman in the background riding Chief. They sure made it look easy out there.





There was also some excitement taking place in the trees! The guinea hen is still loose and like our stalled weather front, is not moving any time soon. I snapped a picture for you and I circled where this bird has made its new home over the last couple of days.



Last but not least I just wanted to thank all of our loyal viewers and just great people I met last night. We do appreciate you watching. So I am going to try to give back a little tonight to show my appreciation. If we get a break in the storms this evening which is still very possible, you can dunk the weatherman. That is right I am going to take the plunge close to 7:45 p.m. this evening at the White County Fair. I am raising money for the North White Ambassadors choir. There will be a few farmers that would really love to get me in a dunk tank for all those hit and miss storms that missed their fields. I will eat my humble pie for a good cause and I hopefully the line will not be as long with all of the needed rain we have had over the last couple days. I better go track our next batch of rain. In the meantime, have a great day and I look forward to seeing you on the air and in person.




No comments: