Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Welcome to the Family Carson! The Blizzard Baby Has Arrived!



Here he is! My new nephew courtesy of my sister-in-law and brother-in-law. He was born on the anniversary of the Edmund Fitgerald on Saturday, November 10th in Wisconsin. Being born on a day rich in weather legend is our bond. His name is Carson Joseph Becker and was quite a catch. He weighed 9 pounds and 8 ounces and was 22 and one-quarter inches. He was so big they have already named him Moose. I will have to talk him into coming to Purdue to play basketball. He could go in the Guinness Book of World Records as the youngest recruit. I think it is a chance Matt Painter should take. He has got the athletic genes in him. His Dad was a couple fastballs away from being a pro baseball player and his cousin Abbey will likely teach him how to leap over tall players after her Olympic run. His uncle Mike will run marathons with him in all 50 states. This baby will have it all. But I will make sure to keep his priorities in line. Like his brother Tony he will love to talk about the weather and want to know every little detail about what causes thunderstorms, tornadoes, and snowstorms.

I cannot wait to tell him about the Blizzard of 2007. Come to think of it by time I tell him the story, I will call him the Blizzard Baby. He was born about 9 months after the big one hit Lafayette with 17 inches of snow. Even though the Milwaukee area had just a few flurries on February 13, 2007, his parents were living in the Midwest at the time only 4 hours away. So he qualifies for blizzard baby designation as a result. Not many babies have the distinction of being called a blizzard baby! He will likely see his first snowflakes in the next week and I will make sure Carson will have a White Christmas. Congratulations Rob and Molly! I cannot wait to actually meet and hold him!

Now that I introduced you to the Blizzard Baby you will have to tune in tonight for my Winter Weather Outlook for 2007-08. Will Carson see his first blizzard? How much snow is on the way? Will we save on our heating bills?
Alright! I just found out the winter outlook will be posted in its entirety on our weather home page. I will make sure to put the link here as soon as it is ready so it will be easy to find.

In the meantime, here is how much snow I am forecasting along with how many snow days you can expect.



A little more than average, but less than last year. This would certainly change if we were hit with another blizzard!



This graphic may surprise you, but if you look at it it should make some sense. We average lots small snows with two snowstorms of 4 inches or more per year. This year I think we will see at least two snowstorms of 6 inches or more.

We will save on the heating bills, but I am really worried about a big ice storm in March. Carson may see his first Blizzard this year in Wisconsin because the Badger state will have plenty of cold air to work with with the main storm track coming over Lafayette. They hit the jackpot in this type of pattern. Hopefully I do not get coal in my stocking for this ominous forecast, but the weather will do what it wants to. :) I do know Santa and his deer love this kind of weather so I should be okay.

No comments: