Thursday, March 17, 2011

Bright sunshine and moonlight through the weekend!


Thursday, March 17, 2011

Florida is living up to its sunny reputation. What a great pattern to be in especially if it looks like it will hold through the weekend. The latest long-range models show no sign of high pressure breaking down until late next week. Until then do not expect any rain and for temperatures to remain well above average. We not only will have a UV index in the high range but will be able to enjoy the biggest full moon of the year under clear skies. This month's full moon which is Saturday will be 7 times larger than normal through your telescope and about 30% brighter. It is being called the extreme super moon. This is due to the moon's orbit bringing it the closest to earth since 1992 while the official full moon taking place within about an hour of the perigee (or the moon's closest point to the earth in its orbit). This only takes place about once every eighteen years. You see the NASA picture showing the difference in teh moon size in the sky which to the naked eye will look 15% wider! Get out and enjoy!




I hope you have a wonderful St. Patrick's Day. I am on my way to my parent's house for corned beef and cabbage.  You see I did find my St. Patrick's Day rainbow in the sprinkler. I am not usually a big fan of watering a ton but in this dry pattern it is a must especially after I just fertilized the yard and planted a ton of new plants. You see the sunlight refracting off the backside of the water droplets. This brings us to our St. Patrick's Day blog question.
 
 
 
You can at least enjoy a lot of golden sunshine! I will have much more on the super moon and your big weekend so make sure to check back!

No comments: